Tabla de contenidos
Panama offers a straightforward path to Panama Residency by marriage. If you’ve recently tied the knot with a Panamanian and dream of making Panama your permanent home, you’re in luck. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll walk you through the requirements and steps to help you navigate the process smoothly.
The Provisional Residence Permit for Family Reunification
Your journey toward permanent residency begins with the Provisional Residence Permit for Family Reunification. This permit is initially granted for two years, after which you can apply for permanent residency. Here’s what you need to do to get started:
Gather Your Documents
In order to request this permit, you must gather the necessary documents listed below:
- Power of Attorney: Obtain a notarized power of attorney.
- Passport Copy: Provide a copy of your passport, duly notarized or authenticated.
- Criminal Background Check: You must submit a criminal background check, duly apostilled.
- Health Certification: Provide a health certificate issued by a healthcare professional licensed in Panama.
- Official Bank Check: Create an official bank check in the amount of $250 USD, made payable to the National Treasury.
- Affidavit of Personal History: Complete and submit an affidavit detailing your personal background.
- Marriage Certificate: Present your marriage certificate issued by the Civil Registry.
- Spouse’s Birth Certificate: Include your Panamanian spouse’s birth certificate, also issued by the Civil Registry.
- Birth Certificates for Your Children: If your children were born in Panama, please furnish their birth certificates obtained from the Civil Registry.
- Spouse’s ID: Include a copy of your Panamanian spouse’s ID, authenticated by Cedulación.
- Letter of Responsibility: Your Panamanian spouse should provide a notarized letter of responsibility and repatriation.
- Evidence of Living Together: Provide documentation to support your cohabitation status, which could include a lease agreement or a utility bill.
Prepare for a marriage interview conducted by immigration officials. This interview aims to ensure the legitimacy of your marital relationship.
Provisional Residence Permit
After successfully completing the interview and submitting the necessary documents, you will receive a Provisional Residence Permit. This permit is valid for two years and represents a significant milestone on your path to obtaining permanent residency.
Permanent Residency for Family Reunification
After the initial two-year period, you can apply for Permanent Residency for Family Reunification. The process is similar to the provisional permit, with a few exceptions:
- You will not need to provide a criminal background check or a certified check for $250 USD.
- As of 2022, demonstrating economic solvency is also not required.
Benefits of Obtaining Residency Through Marriage
Obtaining permanent residency through marriage to a Panamanian citizen comes with several benefits:
- You can reside indefinitely in Panama.
- You can apply for a work permit with the Ministry of Labor immediately.
- The work permit allows you to work for any company without the need for additional government permits.
- You can contribute to Panama’s social security system.
- You can apply for a tax resident certificate to avoid double taxation, if applicable.
Interview and Home Inspection
It’s important to note that the immigration department conducts thorough interviews and may inspect your home. They want to confirm that you genuinely cohabit and that there is no fraud involved in your application.
Embarking on the journey toward permanent residency in Panama as the spouse of a Panamanian citizen may appear intricate, but with proper guidance and preparation, it can evolve into a seamless process. Panama places great importance on family reunification, and the process is purposefully crafted to enable you to construct a life together in this splendid nation.
If you’re contemplating this endeavor, it’s advisable to collaborate with experts well-versed in Panamanian immigration laws. They can assist you in gathering the essential paperwork and steer you through the entire procedure, guaranteeing a successful transition to your new home.
Don’t you know how to apply for your visa to start your immigration process?
Join a virtual meeting to study your case, we advise you
Check if you need a visa
Write your questions and book your meeting 100% online!
We will answer your questions providing personalized feedback
DON’T TAKE IT FROM US
WHAT OUR CLIENTS SAY
Even though our past case successes show our skill in negotiation and courtroom situations, the appreciative feedback we receive from former clients really illustrates our commitment to helping those who have been unjustly injured. Our goal is to provide the advice, tools, and financial compensation they need to improve their lives.
If you’re still unsure about working with a personal injury lawyer from our NDM team, our client testimonials can help make that decision much easier. We’ve received feedback from many clients, all of whom have been incredibly thankful for the support and advocacy we’ve given them.